Don’t be fooled by the ads that tell you they are better than the formula your pediatrician has prescribed. Just because a company can advertise in a way that makes you more likely to buy their product, doesn’t necessarily make it right for your baby. Switching baby formula can lead to many problems like: skin irritation, digestive problems, intestinal gas and diarrhea, and even vomiting. So be sure to pick a formula that meets your needs as well as those of your little one!
5 demerits of switching premium baby formula
1) The nutritional requirements may change- Babies require different nutrients from each other and from what they eat on top of breastfeeding. When you change a formula, it is not only difficult to get your child to take the new formula because of the change in taste, but they may also be trying different foods that do not get absorbed well. So consistent feeding is a must.
2) Babies can only use a certain amount of formula- A baby’s digestive system is not fully developed, and it is easy for infants to become dehydrated when taking any other beverages except breast milk or formula. They should never take more than 15-30 minutes for a rest period.
3) It can cause irritation- Again remember that when babies try new formulas, they may experience pain in their mouth due to skin problems such as acidity. They might even experience stinging, burning, and discomfort. When they become accustomed to their formula they will not have any issues. But when you change them abruptly, it can cause problems because of the change in taste.
4) It can cause diarrhea- Babies can have serious digestive problems for a number of different reasons. If your baby suffers from diarrhea, it could be due to too much milk or simply because the formula does not meet the needs of his digestive system yet. You should always speak to your child’s pediatrician if your child has diarrhea so that you receive professional advice according to his symptoms and conditions.
5) Vaccines are not affected- Most parents will choose the same formula for their baby when they go to the doctor to get their child vaccinated. However, some companies like Avant offer different products for vaccinations. Switching formulas can affect your child’s immune system and make him more susceptible to illness because of a change in his immune system.
6) In some cases, the product may be lower quality- Infant formula must meet the standards of the FDA to ensure that there is no contamination. However, if you switch to a new formula, you will never know what the merchandise or the manufacturing process is. The added ingredients may be cheaper and less pure than those in your child’s regular formula, which could lead to allergic reactions.
It is always important to work with your pediatrician when changing formulas. For the most part, they will have a general formula that meets the needs of most babies, so there should not be a need to switch frequently. But if you have a multivitamin, probiotic, or other supplement for your baby and you are interested in using it to create a more personalized formula for your baby, then you can discuss it with your doctor’s professionals.